Saturday, February 6, 2010

Shannon Rocks - Lez Zeppelin at the Gramercy

Last night I saw Shannon Conley strut her stuff on the stage of the Gramercy. Lez Zeppelin played to an enthralled crowd for over two hours. Gone are the Bic flicks, but the joint was jumping, and the packed house was in love with this band. Little did I know when I’ve attended the theatre with her over the past year that Shannon was born to play Robert Plant.

Shannon leaps and flies and bounces, then takes a stance and with beautiful gestures does fab vocals fronting Steph Paynes on guitar – her solos are amazing; very fine Megan Thomas on bass and keyboards; and terrific Leesa Harrington-Squyres on percussion. The band is remarkably good and I found myself chuckling with pleasure all the while.

The only downer of the evening was entrance into the Gramercy – I don’t mind some guys looking in my bag for contraband or weapons (I saw guys being frisked in front of Irving Plaza the other week, what the hell is that!), but I do mind them making me pour out the water I carried in a metal bottle. The staff replaced my bottle with a plastic bottle of water, which I sipped through the evening. But. Not green and not cool.

As advised by Shannon, I wore my earplugs, but the whole place buzzed and vibrated so that my head is still heavy and throbbing the morning after. Small price to pay for an exciting show.

Rock On!

~ Molly Matera, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment